Building an Animatronic Tail

My friend Rah and I were chatting and she happened to mention how cool it would be to have a tail. I joked that I bet someone had built one using an Arduino. A quick search showed that indeed a few people had and even a tentacle. Rah’s next question was would I built one, fast forward a couple of years and I’ve finally got around to starting. Taking a 3D printable design as my starting point.


Hardware Build

3D Printed Tail Parts

The design didn’t come with instructions, so I needed to guess how the part fit together.

Assembling the tail involved threading the Rubber cord on the vertical holes. Tieing knots at each end. The Elastic cord in the hortizontal holes. I left out the fishing cord until later.


I bolted on the servo horn, then marked out the holes in the wheel. Drilled holes with a Dremel

Servo and Wheel

Seeing how the Buckle, Arm and Brace was simple.

Assembled Mount

One thing I did wrong was gluing those three parts together before attaching the servo. Pulling them apart. Fitted the servo and glued it all back together.

Mounted Servo

Threading the fishing wire. Adding two eye hooks on ether side of the servo wheel as cable guides. A single nail at the top as an attachment point.

Assembled Tail


Most parts are USB, so simple plug together. Battery to switch to Arduino. The servo is a little bit more work, a quick Google showed

brown or black = ground (GND, battery negative terminal)
red = servo power (Vservo, battery positive terminal)
orange, yellow, white, or blue = servo control signal line

The signal line connect to digital pin 9 on the Arduino and that was everything assembled.


I started with the sample code and played around with various timing. In the end most of them didn’t look right, so I reverted the changes. The current code is on GitHub.

Things that didn’t work

My original plan was to use a pulse sensor to control the speed of the tail. I used the advanced example, reading the BPM was fine but does not vary enough to have a noticable effect.

If I was building this again. I’d look at an accelerometer to use as input to the Arduino. That would give variation required to produce more interesting movement from the tail.

Author: Zoe

A recovering games coder.

5 thoughts on “Building an Animatronic Tail”

  1. Dear Zoe,
    Thank you for this helpful article! My 13-YO daughter and I plan to build this for her cosplay.
    I have a few questions, but only if you have time:
    1. Did you NOT glue the first vertebra to the arm? Are the cords enough to hold without sagging?
    2. Whey did you use both rubber and elastic cords? Wouldn’t one or the other be sufficient?
    3. In fact, why not choose just, say, the elastic cord for the upper and lower holes, and the fishing line for the horizontal?
    4. How do you attach this entire unit to your body? (Or is this something that you use for a decoration and not cosplay?
    Thank you in advance for your advice! We are NOT trying to second-guess you, but to learn from you experiences instead!

    1. Oops!
      She just teased me, because of my typos! “Why” not “whey” and “from your experiences” not “from you experiences”. 🙂

    2. 1. The cords and line are indeed enough to avoid sagging. So no need to glue the first vertebra
      2. I first used just the elastic but that was not enough to give the rigidity I was after. So I added the rubber.
      3. If I was building another one I would just go with the rubber. I spent most of the time playing around with the tension to the upper and lower holes to get the movement looking the (mostly) how I wanted it.
      4. You can thread a belt between the servo and the holder and secure the tail that way. The belt is also handy for the battery pack to power everything.

      Happy to help if you have any other questions or need more explanation for any of this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *