As normal Wikipedia has a good intro to a lot of the issues with identity online.
Two from Danny O’Brien on register online, looking at the different audences public, private and secret and how this is more complex if you also talk (or can be seen to be talking) for an organisation.
As for me, I’m not planning on going to split accounts, but I do plan to be better at connecting all the different things I do together better, after all its my portfolio.
Edited to add 2010/01/06
O’Reilly Radar posted a long series on identity called ‘Being online: identity, anonymity, and all things in between’ that cover the same ground:
- Your identity in real life: what people know
- Your identity online: getting down to basics
- Your identity to advertisers: it’s not all about you
- What you say about yourself, or selves
- Forged identities and non-identities
- Group identities and social network identities
- Conclusion: identity narratives